samedi 24 décembre 2011

Resistance is futile

In the midst of all the shopping guides, Christmas wish-lists, I've compiled items I didn't purchase even though I really wanted to (at the moment). This litte exercise made me realize how meaningless some of my shopping obsessions can be right now, hopping from one item after the other.

Usually I'm more focused on what I want but lately I've been sidetracked by the elements. The dead of Winter. It's as if the short days, lack of light combined with the festive and shopping mood had awoken absurd fashion cravings. Suddenly, I want brights, patterns, faux fur, sequins etc. Items that are so not me yet till the moment I avoid the "castratophe" of a useless purchase, I'm so enthralled by the process I barely realize the mistakes in the making.

First, after spotting it on "la garçonne", emphasized by great styling, the Vanessa Bruno Athé parka was seared in my brain and when I tried it on a few months ago, I had a very hard time leaving it in the store despite the fact that it wasn't especially great or flattering.  Happily for me it was way too expensive and all my calculation, schemes couldn't help justifying the purchase. Now, I don't even think about it.

Then I obsessed over the André leopard boots which I looked for my size all over Paris to no avail and again, what luck! Because they completely left my mind.

Next came the craving for a red bag. I guess that's the drawback from wearing so much black and grey teamed with the gloomy weather but as quickly as the thought entered my mind, it was gone.

Last (for 2011?) but most certainly not least, the APC leopard coat was an instant crush. I almost purchased it several times, putting it in my shopping cart chickening at the last second.  Sure I could see myself wearing it with jeans and my Isabel Marant boots or with a grey wool dress and ballet flats but I couldn't shake off the doubt. Glad I trusted my instincts because once again, I haven't bothered to give it a lingering thought ever since the crush episode happened.

Out of all the fashion urges I've had these past 12 months, only one item kept creeping up in my mind. Despite all my objections and reasoning (that I barely applied on some of my shopping sillyness) I couldn't shake off the bag. The Balenciaga City classic.
Now, remember that block last year? Totally off. Not a flinch. That was it, I had to have it. So I finally gifted myself with the bag of my dreams. I guess a year and + was the right amount of time for me to process and mature such purchase. Now if only I could apply the same restraint to some of my purchases...  Well, it's the season of wishes and good resolutions... Shall we discuss it next year?

Merry Christmas!

lagarçconne, Vestiaire de copines, Walinette


Miiine at last! Le miien enfin! 


En ces temps de guide d'achat, de listes de cadeaux, j'ai compilé ces quelques articles que je n'ai pas acheté même si j'en avais très envie (sur le moment). Ce petit exercice m'a fait prendre  conscience du caractère inconsistant de certaines de mes obsessions mode en ce moment, passant d'un article à l'autre.

D'habitude, je suis plus concentrée sur ce que je veux mais dernièrement j'ai été distraite par les éléments. Le plein hiver. C'est comme si les courtes journées sans luminosité combinées à l'ambiance festive et de consommation avaient réveillé certaines envies modesques absurdes. Tout d'un coup, je veux du vif, de l'imprimé, des paillettes, de la fausse fourrure etc. Des vêtements ou accessoires qui ne me correspondent pas du tout et pourtant jusqu'au moment où j'évite la "catastrophe" d'un achat inutile, je suis tellement captivée par le processus que je me rends à peine compte des bêtises que je suis potentiellement entrain de réaliser.

D'abord, près l'avoir repéré sur la garçonne, parfaitement mise en valeur par un stylisme impeccable, la parka Vanessa Bruno Athé  était saisi das mon esprit et quand je l'ai essayée il y a quelques mois, j'ai eu beaucoup de mal à la laisser en magasin en dépit du fait qu'elle n'était pas spécialement formidable ou avantageuse. Heureusement pour moi, son prix était trop élevé et malgré tous mes plans et calculs pas moyen de justifier un tel achat. Et bien, je n'y pense plus du tout. 

Puis, il y a eu les boots léopard André lesquelles m'ont obsédées au point de chercher ma pointure dans tout Paris sans succès et là encore, quelle chance! Parce qu'elles me sont complètement sorties de la tête.

Après j'ai eu une envie de sac rouge. J'imagine que c'est la répercussion d'un trop plein de tenues noires et grises conjuguée à la météo insipide. Mais aussi rapidement que cette idée s'est formée, s'est-elle évaporée.  

Enfin (pour clore 2011?), j'ai eu un coup de cœur instantané pour un manteau léopard APC. J'ai failli l'acheter à plusieurs reprises, le plaçant dans mon panier et me dégonflant à la dernière seconde. Oui, je me voyais avec, le portant avec mon jean préféré et mes boots Marant ou avec une robe pull grise et des ballerines mais je n'arrivais pas à lever le doute. Je suis contente d'avoir écouté mon instinct parce qu'encore une fois, je n'ai pas daigné une pensée à cet article depuis lors.

De toutes mes envies mode des 12 derniers mois, une seule n'a cessé de revenir constamment à la charge. Malgré toutes mes objections et argumentations (que j'ai à peine appliqué à mes récentes fadaises) pour ne pas acheter ce sac, impossible de l'oublier. Le Balenciaga City classique.
Vous vous rappelez ce blocage l'année dernière?  Fini. Dépassé. Plus aucune hésitation. Je me suis donc finalement offert le sac de mes rêves.  J'imagine que cette période de plus d'une année était le délai nécessaire pour moi afin de mûrir cet achat et de finalement passer à l'acte. Maintenant, si je pouvais appliquer le même contrôle pour certains de mes achats... Bon, c'est la saison des voeux et des bonnes résolutions... On en reparle l'année prochaine?

Joyeux Noël!

12 commentaires:

  1. Enjoy your lovely Balenciaga City and know that it was the right decision for you if it took that long! It's a classic, and you will use it forever.

    minima/maxima, a blog about minimalist style

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I'm so glad I read this post! I almost bought some rag and bone sandals a few minutes ago. And now instead of regretting it, I actually feel really good about myself. I really have to stop buying so much stuff!
    Ohh, and congrats on the city! You'll wear it all the time, I promise! I've been wearing mine since 2006 (it's my everyday bag) and I still haven't found a good replacement. And trust me, I've tried!
    Happy Holidays A!

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Petrichore: Thanks! It truly was the bag I could see myself with in every situation, all year round. And versatility and durability are qualities I'm always looking for in items I purchase.

    Thanks Emmy! Internet is such an enabler when you have "shopping fever"! You're right, since I got the Bal 2 weeks ago I've already been using it non stop. Happy Holidays to you too! I'm drinking lots of jasmine tea now after X-mas eve dinner and today's lunch....

    Prêt: So true! I can't believe what an inner and long battle it was to finally end up with the one I've always wanted in the first place...

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. congrats on getting the city! i got mine as a vintage because i was obsessed with the chevre and it has been my everyday bag since i got it. it's much more durable than it looks. you'll get so much wear out of yours!

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Thanks Miss Sophie! I love my City so much, I don't know if I'll use other bags in the months to come... I've actually recently discovered this chèvre vs agneau discussion about the Balenciaga bags. Apparently, chèvre is really sought after.

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. I had quite a few shopping obsessions in the past month as well, and I'm mildly disappointed in myself that I acted on one of them, haha. I started with a pair of leopard print flats, which I resisted, and forgot about. Then came a very sweet bra at Club Monaco, which I kept admiring in the shop windows but the crush died when I tried it on and it was quite boring. Then it was a pair of Sessun pants which like you, I kept moving into my shopping cart and then closing the window. But then it went on sale and I bought them on impulse. As I wait for them to arrive, I feel mild regret creeping in, but I will reserve my opinion until I try them on. I curse internet shopping!

    So glad to see you're enjoying the City. I was nervous about buying big ticket items like that as well and put off buying a Chanel bag for years until I decided that if I'd been craving one for years I should take the chance on one. Now I'm glad I did, because I don't even look at other bags anymore - I'm happy with what I have.

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Lin: We should start a self help group on how to stay clear-headed when confronted with fashion related obsessions! :))
    I'm proposing a basic 1-2-3 steps program: 1) little breathing exercises to stay focused 2)shut off any fashion related websites to avoid temptations 3)repeat as many times as necessary: you don't need...fill in the blanks...in your life.
    In our case, the bag obsession persisted and I'm really glad I caved in as well. I used to be bored so easily by my bags, it always felt like at some point none would work with my outfits. I've downsized my bag collection to a handful that I truly appreciate and wear over and over again with no snooze in sight!

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. I know exactly what you mean. I had the same relationship with a pair of black ankle ZARA boots, obsessing with them, trying them on, finding them in a size too small, almost buying them, but not having the time to wait the queue. The same for a Celine bag, Philip Lim leather jacket, Jefferey Campbell boots, the list is endless. The thing is there is always the next best thing out there. Some new beautiful object to obsess about. The question is, do you really need it? If you wait two/three months will you regret not buying it? 98% of the times the answer is no. Not owning another jacket is not going to make your life worse. Being a conscience consumer is so tough. Ignorance and impulse buying is sometimes bliss. Really enjoying your blog

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. tu seras ravie de ton nouveau partenaire ;) bonne fêtes à toi

    RépondreSupprimer
  10. T like Bubble: Thanks for the input and the kind words. Isn't it weird how the mind and outside stimulus trick us more or less willingly? One minute you feel that you can't live without that "cute/wonderful" item and the next you completely forgot about it. This kind of situation helps putting the purchase process into perspective and I will do my best to keep cool when another obsession hits!
    Anyway, bless the sales and the Spring collection arrival because that's the time of the year when I just can't stand shopping in stores at least... There's always the internet...
    Best wishes for 2012!

    Merci DailyGlamour! Je ne quitte déjà plus mon nouveau sac! Même pour aller acheter une baguette! :)) Je te souhaite une très bonne année!

    RépondreSupprimer
  11. Oh, I know exactly how the La garconne styling can cause an unhealthy time consuming obsession for things that aren't really that great - kind of scary! Congratulations on the bag, just lovely!

    RépondreSupprimer