dimanche 28 février 2016

Metallica

It's been a while since I bought something out of character, an on a whim, fun purchase not dictated by practical reasons.

Last Friday, I remedied to that at H&M where I initially went in to buy black socks because Uniqlo is already in full spring mode, so no more Heattech socks but lots of footsies and other -useless for now- ankle socks... I was pleasantly suprised to find that the Swedish now have "Conscious" cotton seamless toe socks and after Koko's comment a few weeks ago, I was eager to try this knit design.

After finding what I was looking for, I couldn't leave so soon now, could I? Of course not!Haha! So I made a "quick" tour and noted that there are some short sleeved linen tees in the "everyday" line, one especially in light pink is lovely but that can wait. Then I ventured in the more "fashion forward" section appropriately labelled "Trend" where I found a metallic/off white pleated midi skirt.

Now whenever I see the metallic trend being force-fed to us by designers, then in magazines and finally in stores, my usual reaction is close to an eye-roll.

As accessories, I don't mind it and actually find metallic shoes often lovely (see here) but clothes invariably trigger a "too much" sign in my mind. Not to mention that most metallic clothes available at my affordable price point are so corny, almost (old) tv space opera costume like. So aside from a very hypothetical Hollywood A-list (ok, even B would do, no need to aim too high) night out, I could never contemplate wearing metallic clothes in a casual daily look in Paris.

As a result I didn't expect anything of the skirt, just thought it was fun, had time to spare and headed to the changing rooms with it. And voilà the result - sorry for the awkward pose: modelling is definitely not my next career! I was so unexpectedly pleased with that skirt, the metallic sheen and play with the pleats is gorgeous and subtle - which to be honest is certainly why I felt bold enough to buy it.

It's completely different of anything I own yet I got the sense that it'd actually work with most of my wardrobe. I could see it with my spring/summer clothes and footwear too. It also didn't hurt that it remined me of the Dries van Noten's spring summer 2014 collection: one of my all-time favorite from him.







Already tested it in real life conditions yesterday with a tweed coat over a kaki green sweater and sneakers. I loved my outfit so much that I sneakily took a pic in the library elevator.


coat: Zara / sweater & skirt: H&M / sneakers: Jonak / Bag: Balenciaga / scarf: Acne

5 commentaires:

  1. love love your metallic skirt, and your hair looks gorgeous! hope you are well well. :)

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks for stopping by and your sweet comment! Re: the hair, thanks because I tried a flat twist-out for the first time and wasn't really sure about the result! ;))
      Hope all is well for you too, seems like you're on the move!

      Supprimer
  2. Your library outfit--I'm drawn to the coat first, then the scarf, then the skirt. Even better that most of the pieces are at attainable prices :)

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Oh that's so nice, thanks! I can go "crazy" over budget on a few items I know I'll wear a lot (bag/shoes mainly) but otherwise I try to discipline my purchases within a certain limit/price tag.

      Supprimer
  3. I agree and had that "picture" in mind when I bought it.

    RépondreSupprimer