dimanche 25 novembre 2012

Under a spell

Right now, whenever the office hours are over, all I wear is knit and jeans. To the point where my laziness to wear something else makes me wonder about the point of having other clothes.

The realization that I just don't feel like "doing fashion" at the moment came to me as I was browsing through the racks of my shopping triumvirate Zara, h&m, COS where the clothes were mainly nice and, even for some, sparked genuine interest. Still right now, nothing makes me happier than building a look around my good old jeans.

I enjoy the playfulness of fashion, the mix and match, the trends. It's so much fun to grab something off a rack, try it on, play make believe and leave it at that or au contraire embracing the idea of what one wants to look like and go for it.

Well, at the moment, I just don't feel like playing. I think I'm in cocoon mode when nothing else matters than feeling good and comfortable. All I want come friday is grab a coat, put on a cashmere and jeans. Accessories, shoes and bags are the only items truly up to debate.

Last friday, I chose a ladylike Chloé bag and conservative New Look oxfords for an otherwise familiar androgynous look and gave up on my traditional black and grey duo for a toned down but still more original brown-navy mix with touches of grey and mulberry.

I don't know how long that (dry uninspired) spell will last. I want to be more adventurous and shake myself up a bit.

Thoughts? How do you get out of a temporary rut? Do you just wait till something ignites your fashion senses or do you force and challenge yourself to break the spell?





Coat/manteau: Zara - sweater/pull: Zara - jeans: h&m - shoes/chaussures: New Look - scarf/écharpe: COS - sac/bag: Chloé

15 commentaires:

  1. LOVE this new combination of colors! Also your Chloe bag....

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. To be honest - I really enjoy seeing you wear what you would call your "boring" look. I do it all the time and wear the same boyfriend jeans with ankle boots and vary the jumper or top a little but invariably, I hark back to a grey or beige cashmere jumper. It's my uniform. Your pictures are not boring at all to me simply because I love the look. It's coincidental how I just touched on the subject today of wearing too much grey, blue and black recently so decided to let loose a bit with a bit of colour but I have to say ... I prefer a grey cashmere jumper anyday.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. What a thoughtful approach you display. I wonder why it's so hard to be content with what we have... I guess the fact that we're bombarded with so much fashion propositions add some fuel to that feeling of boredom.

      Supprimer
  3. This post describes my whole sartorial life! I often get into what I call obsessive spells and I wear a particular look or outfit everyday for a week or more. Part of it is laziness but I really don't find it boring. There's a lot to be said about having a uniform that you feel utterly comfortable and polished in. Plus what you have on is far from looking like you're in any kind of rut, even if you wear it everyday for a month. Having said that, I often imagine if I would be happier with a minimalist wardrobe since I dress in uniform 90% of the time with a just a few additional fun pieces for the rare days I feel like making more of a statement. I think the only reason why I haven't given up the less often worn pieces is because the amount I've spent on them and the knowledge that I will eventually get out of these comfort spells. So my previous phrase still rings in my head, perhaps I can live a happier sartorial life with a smaller wardrobe.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. It's so great to know I'm not alone feeling this. What's great about having a uniform is that dressing gets so much easier! However it does make me feel clueless about my never-ending desire to add "stuff" when I wear the same things over and over again. That said realizing that, is a positive step because it helps to keep focused while shopping.

      Supprimer
  4. I know the feeling of wanting to be "inspired", but generally the feeling rarely lingers. It sounds a little narcissistic but even if I leave the house in a "lazy" outfit, glimpses of it during the day (when I pass a mirror or something) sometimes makes me feel unexpectedly satisfied, because I realise I like what I've got on and why I bought it in the first place. I like that the clothes I put on without giving in too much thought stand up to scrutiny - I don't ever look down and think "what was I thinking?".

    And I too, think you look terrific. You have such great tan accessories - always the perfect shade.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Ha, thanks for puttings things in perspective! You're right I rarely feel that what I wear is questionable or inappropriate even if I can wish I had this or that to add a little punch.

      Supprimer
  5. This is the phase I'm currently in too. I am happiest when I don't have too many choices; I realized having too much stuff actually causes me anxiety. I am most comfortable when not drawing too much attention to myself. Trends, too much color - it all seems like too much work!

    I love your Chloé bag! You always look great.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Oh I get how you feel! Since I rationalized my closet and got rid of a lot my cool and trendy clothes a few years ago, I actually wear what I have. I still like to get into (some) trendy stuff but in a very subdued way and it has to work with the rest of my closet.
      Thanks about the bag, I think it will become quite a regular basic!

      Supprimer
  6. Your example on how the supposedly boring stuff outlast the cool rings so true!
    Honestly, most of the trendy clothes don't stay long as they feel dated very quickly and that may be a part of why I'm more attracted to the basic ones which result in a quite basic closet, which I truly like except, at times, like now, when it feels hopelessly dull... Haha!

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Tell me about it!! I've been in a rut for the last 3 years! My uniform has been skinny black jeans with an oversized sweater usually dark as well. To break the spell of greys, blues and black, I sometimes will buy a pink sweater or something crazy like that. Or else a really cool pair of shoes in an unexpected color or shape can help break the rut. Other ways to spice up a uniform that are a little pricier - some beautiful gold jewelry or a new coat. Both of these never cease to make me feel good, even when I'm wearing jeans and sweaters that are years old. And, lastly, I concur - you look great!! There's a reason some people find a uniform. Usually it's what they look best in ;)

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks for the kind words and tips! I have just lost one of my favorite earring and though I'm usually not very interested in jewellery, the prospect of replacing them actually thrills me. I'm taking my time searching and patiently wait for the coup de coeur!
      Outerwear is such a weakness of mine. I agree that addding a great coat is a great remedy to a boring outfit.

      Supprimer
  8. I know, this always happens to me when it gets colder. I mean, you don't really have lots of choices - jeans with a blouse and a cardigan or a sweater. I'm fine with it right now, but I know that I'll be so tired of it in March!! It's all about the boots, the coat and the bag! I love your bag, and the entire outfit. I finally found the Tom bag in black leather - looove it!!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Congrats on getting the Tom!! I'm so happy for you!
      I like how you narrowed down what's important when getting dressed in winter as these items are really the most visible.

      Supprimer