samedi 25 juillet 2015

Africa's inside me

"Africa's inside me 
Taking back her child
She's giving me my pride and setting me free"*

Even if I'm half west-indian (my mother is from Martinique), living in Benin, West Africa has been a rooting experience that will stay with me forever and it is one of my homes.

I'm very thankful that I got to spend most of my teenage years in Benin because despite all the growing pains that every single teenager experiences, I was over all surrounded by kindness and the belief that I was able. It's such an important gift to be amongst people whom you can look up to and whom in return lift you up. 

I'm writing about that because that's the feeling I get everytime I step off the plane in Cotonou, I'm uplifted, filled with optimism and confidence. Sadly this summer - thanks to crazy expensive tickets inversely proportionnal to my budget- I won't be able to go and get my much needed boost. 

So instead I'm relying on the next best thing for me, fashion! It's all about indigo blue, blood orange, batik and wax prints and somehow I'm less timid, standing taller and prouder when I'm wearing clothes from the motherland...



Dress by Mrs Clotilde Tomety in Benin / tote bag: Céline / sandals: Birkenstock "Madrid"


shirt: Nash Prints It - pinstriped pants (I know, you can't see the stripes with my crappy phone pic but I swear they are there!): Uniqlo - sandals : APC  classic wedges.


linen tshirt: H&M - skirt: Openya - bag: Abaco - sandals: APC 


trench coat: Tcharakoura - striped tshirt: Isabel Marant Etoile - sandals: Birkenstock "Gizeh"- bag: Céline


9 commentaires:

  1. I particularly love the trench coat.

    Lilah

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks Lilah! Was really happy that the weather cooled down enough these past days for me to wear it again.

      Supprimer
  2. I love the way you incorporate this into your wardrobe - so chic but also lively and completely unique :)

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks Rachel! That's such a heart warming compliment!

      Supprimer
  3. The coat's amazing, and I love a soft full printed skirt in summer. On another note, it's a wonderful experience to be among people who can see you for who you are, and life outside of the West affords a different sense of self-esteem that can be very sustaining.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks Caille! You nailed my point about how living outside of the core of western world can be a nurturing experience. Especially coming from France AKA World's n° 1 pessimist country!! Haha!

      Supprimer
  4. Thanks Prêt! Wearing it feels a bit like a talisman...

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. These pieces are extraordinary! It is remarkable the effect clothing and color can have on one's mood and confidence. I'm glad these fashions are able to summon up the positivity of your home and act as a connection.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks Holly! Yes, there's magic in fashion! And at least putting on something that pleases the eyes is always a good start for the day!

      Supprimer