vendredi 3 juin 2016

Arizona

Just before going on vacation, I bought myself the Birkenstock's Arizona sandals. 

I had been lurking at them for several seasons, resisting the fashion frenzy surrounding this model by telling myself that I already had the Madrid and the Gizeh so I didn't need another pair.

Yet simply trying them on with freshly painted toes made me forgo my long not another Birkenstock purchase stance. 

Since then I've worn them on any possible occasion and every single day while on holidays. 

Here are the back to Paris versions.


Jacket: H&M - top & jeans : COS - bag: Balenciaga City - shoes: Birkenstock Arizona


Denim jacket: Jacob - dress: Lemaire and Uniqlo - shoes: Birkenstock Arizona - bag : Balenciaga City


jacket: Isabel Marant - blouse: Isabel Marant Etoile - jeans : Zara - shoes : Birkenstock Arizona - bag : Balenciaga City

12 commentaires:

  1. Is the Lemaire dress a sweater-type fabric? it looks breezy and comfortable on you.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. It's a knit very much like the fabric of the tank dress from the summer collection. I've been really smitten with this item, so comfortable and easy to wear and live in!

      Supprimer
  2. Your Zara jeans are lovely, just the right length and fit! Are they from this season?
    After reading this post I think I will postpone my "no more Birks" resolution for next year ;)

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks a lot!! Got the jeans last winter but Zara still has this kind of "relax" cut jeans.

      Supprimer
  3. I bought a pair of white Arizonas a few weeks ago, after sniffing a bit at the whole silly fashion adoption of them -- after all I've been wearing Birks for decades, the last six or so summers lived pretty consistently in bronze Gizehs. But my oh my! These white Arizonas are earning their keep! They might just be a trend for now, but I love the way they've freshened my summer look. And now, looking at your dark Arizonas, I can see even more potential. Uh-oh . . .

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Haha! You're too funny and summed up pretty well my own suspicion towards this sudden fashion hit and then yielding because they just make everything cooler! One of my friend has them in white and they're so good... Also spotted the studded version, kind of like what Isabel Marant did last summer and I had reservations on that being an overkill but after trying them on, I had to cool off and step back fast because they were so-so-so tempting!

      Supprimer
  4. for me the older i get the more i seek out shoes that are comfortable for standing/walking all day but somehow a little bit shy of outdoor/orthopedic sandals. we both have the same APC sandals in caramel tan which i love aesthetically and they were initially comfortable but after a summer of walking in them a lot they seem to have lost a lot of the cush in the soles. i just recently bought a pair of Mephisto "Sybil" sandals which are like a hybrid of the APC sandals, a Birkenstock, and a saltwater type sandal. OH MY are they comfortable. the straps are thicker than i would generally opt for but they are actually not bad on, and Mephisto shoes are exceptionally well made. just in case you want to expand the Birkenstock-esque tendencies ;-)

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Ironically one of the strap of my APC sandals just broke away today!! I think it's fixable but it certainly supports your lukewarm comment on them...

      Mephisto is one of those brand I cast aside because of several bad customer service experiences. Went in a couple Paris stores (Opéra and Porte d'Orléans) with my mom who was interested in their shoes and everytime we were ignored (in a rather empty store each times) and clearly unwelcomed so even if they have the best shoes in the world, I won't give this brand a cent!

      Supprimer
    2. oh that is terrible news about the associates at the Mephisto shops. shame on them. Mephisto in the city i live in is only available at a shoe store that carries several different brands, and their staff is friendly and diverse as is their clientele. i will certainly think twice before buying another pair despite the fact that the comfort is unparalleled for me. i have actually just sent them an email letting them know how inappropriate their conduct is and i hope it makes some amount of difference for them to read it and perhaps begin to make amends for the inexcusable behavior. thank you for telling me, Aïssa! this should never happen and it saddens me that discrimination is still commonplace in 2016.

      Supprimer
    3. It's certainly disheartening to live these experiences so thanks for the unwavering support! I truly appreciate the time and effort you took to write to the brand. It's a process I often resort to when I have to get something out of my chest (thanks for the internet and social medias for that), it helps, every contribution helps.
      The worst is when your experiences are not taken seriously, as if when one doesn't live through the event it doesn't really exist or you're deemed "too sensitive". I certainly want to believe the best of people especially when they're supposed to be doing their jobs but as you pointed out prejudice and ignorance are still way too common.

      Supprimer
  5. hi Aïssa,
    most certainly no thanks are necessary i feel it is my duty as a person who believes in equality for everyone regardless of race, gender, sexual preference or any other factor.
    i received a response from mephisto that they will pass this info along to their retail managers and i told them that that is not enough, that systemic racism or lack of implementation to promote a nondiscriminatory environment needs to be taken on from the top of the company, including with their website which only shows caucasian blonde people.
    have you read Citizen: An American Lyric by Claudia Rankine? if not i highly recommend it, a great contemporary commentary on racism (focused on america).
    i hope that by taking a stand each time we encounter and experience discrimination personally or as witness, we are making a small change and difference that has a direct impact on it not happening again. for such a progressive species we really have so much further to go... i could go on but i would much prefer to leave you with a good thought and know that you have my support fully on this matter!!!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Saramoye, if only your thoughts and actions were more widespread...

      It certainly takes (positive) actions/policies and strong will to tackle racism, both often lacking and ending with easy good sentiments cop out because it simply doesn't affect those in power and able to induce change. That's why it's so important that all kind of human beings reach economic, politic, cultural at decision-making levels and not just rich white dudes.
      It's such a complex and ancient construction, even now in my late thirties, I'm still learning about it, trying to process how it influences my interactions with others and also how to (try to) shelter myself from it. So I will check your book recommendation!
      Take care!

      Supprimer